The Asset Accountant is responsible for maintaining the books and records for one or two Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield assets. This role will be the primary contact for any financial related questions on US GAAP and IFRS asset statements.
The Asset Accountant will oversee analyzing monthly/quarterly closing actuals, preparing forecast and budget in close collaboration with the General Manager and the Operating Managers, and applying critical thinking to challenge and enhance business performance.
Responsibilities for the role:
- Prepare accurate financial, asset, liability and capital expenditures account entries by compiling and analyzing information using our ERP system (JD Edwards).
- Maintain and analyze the general ledger to ensure the accuracy of revenue and cost allocation including accruals and prepayment preparation.
- Gain and understanding of accounting rules given the circumstances applicable to each asset in US GAAP and IFRS, and apply Group guidance.
- Submit quarterly financial packages to the Group consolidation system (SAP BFC).
- Prepare detailed reconciliations between the GL and all subsidiary ledgers.
- Perform reconciliations with the aid of automated systems.
- Maintain the fixed assets register.
- Assist with tenant recoveries and allocations (incl common area maintenance and property tax charges).
- Prepare monthly and quarterly sales and use tax returns if applicable.
- Prepare cash distributions to co-investors when required.
- Support due diligence for strategic transactions such as acquisitions, dispositions, and property secured debt financing if applicable
- Participate in the annual 5 years budget process and quarterly current year reforecasting for the responsible asset
- Become a business partner to the Operating Management & Shopping Center Management teams
- Develop capacity to compare variances between budget/forecast and actual results and to offer insights to support with the development of action plans
- Explain key operational drivers and related impacts on the financial statements to key managers
- Gain a thorough understanding of all sources of revenues (fixed and percentage rents, tenant recoveries, parking and commercial partnerships) and special accounting issues relevant to real estate (such as straight-lining of rents and REIT considerations) and their impact on the financial statements to support business understanding and action plan setting.
- Provide data in a way that is consumable and illustrative, where necessary, to explain performance and support decision-making
- Responsible for the timely and accurate distribution of monthly/ quarterly/ annual operational and budget reports to co-investors and lenders when applicable.
- Prepare annual stand-alone financial statements (US GAAP) and work with the company’s auditors to obtain audit opinions according to strict deadlines
- 2+ years of accounting and financial analysis experience (Retail or Commercial Real Estate preferred) with general ledger and financial statement preparation experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in accounting and/or Finance
- CPA or equivalent qualification preferred
- Experience with ERP, Consolidation and/or BPM systems is a plus
- Proficiency in Excel
- Must be curious and able to challenge status quo while having excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact with senior management.
- Change Agent – you must be ready to learn the business needs and requirements and have the ability to quickly adapt when there are modifications or new requirements
- Cross-functional translator and facilitator – you must be able to effectively deliver when communicating financial information. You must be able to communicate finance to business and vice versa. This role is both front-of-house and back-of-house
- Quick learner who overcomes objections, adjusts on the fly in a fast-paced business, and has a thirst for knowledge. You should have the ability to learn the business, systems, and processes, and then offer insightful recommendations on how to improve
Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, experience and skills. We believe that diversity plays an important part in the success of our business and we are committed to creating an environment which respects, values, celebrates and makes the most of people’s individual differences. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and other legally protected characteristics.