Our Client seeks a Senior Director of Development (SDOD) in Tampa Bay Area, FL. The candidate shall lead their Development Project Management team in planning and developing real estate projects ranging from ½ acre to 10+ acres.
An ideal candidate will be an experienced leader with extensive, demonstrated success integrating teams and possess a positive, results-oriented management approach. The right candidate will be highly motivated and will have the capacity to manage complex single tenant projects, multiple single-tenant projects, shopping center projects as well as complex project assemblages. Candidate will have 8+ years of experience in the development field and demonstrate strong character and ethical values that match our company’s foundation.
General Duties, Responsibilities, & Job Description:
• The position reports to the EVP & CFO
• Manage, mentor, and assist Company’s project management & development team in the Eastern Division, work hand in glove with Company’s EVP of Real Estate in the onboarding of new projects, successful execution, and delivery of approved projects.
• Maintain an ongoing, detailed working knowledge of all aspects of each project in the development pipeline (budget and timeline control & integrity) that the SDOD is directly managing /or managing through direct reports.
• Maintain ultimate responsibility for safeguarding project budgets and timelines for all Company’s projects in the Eastern Division.
• Communicate project updates to the Company’s Executive Leadership Team for all projects in the Company’s Eastern Division.
• Possess great people skills demonstrated by way of building, maintaining, and growing meaningful connections with the Development Team, operating with a mindset & attitude of approachability, patience and being a supportive “go to” for the team.
• Operate with a management style utilizing efficient and effective communication skills with direct reports to facilitate support, growth and development through empowerment and accountability, leveraging on individual strengths and abilities of each Development Team member. • Hold the team accountable for budget and timeline integrity as well as “dig in and do” when necessary for the good of a project(s) and the overall good of the Company.
• Regularly visit job sites with PMs to monitor project status firsthand, collaborate/troubleshoot with PM’s on issues that can and do arise and provide support and direction to solve in a manner that is best for the Client and the Company.
• Identify unforeseen project issues as early as possible, work with PMs to determine possible solutions and budget/schedule impact mitigation and communicate to the EVP & CFO as early and timely as possible.
• Work with the EVP-Real Estate and Real Estate Managers (REM’s) to develop Purchase Contract and Lease Letters of Intent (LOI’s) to ensure timeframes meet realistic entitlement requirements.
• Work with the EVP-Real Estate and individual REMs to ensure landlord work exhibits are correct, meet tenant requirements and match budget assumptions and to ensure REMs are providing accurate and timely deal parameters to PMs.
• Review “Scrub/Preliminary” and Real Estate Committee (REC) packages with PM’s for budgetary and timeline accuracy and completeness prior to presentation to REC.
• Serve on Company’s Real Estate Committee (REC) as an advisory, non-voting member.
• Establish a regular cadence of project meetings with the members of the Development Team to review project budgets & timelines to ensure accuracy and will raise any concerns to EVP & CFO as soon as possible.
• Work with Project Coordinator(s) and Assistant Project Managers to track Lease and PSA critical dates and ensure Project Managers are completing due diligence checklists on time.
• Assist in developing Project Manager “best practice” training sessions and hold them on a regular basis.
• Maintain responsibility for forecasting and tracking the 3 year rolling Revenue Events in the Eastern Division. Revenue Events shall be reviewed and updated on a rolling 2-month basis.
• In and out of state overnight travel required.
• This is NOT a remote position.
• When not traveling, attendance in the office is expected for most effective in person team collaboration.
Skills & Qualifications
• 5+ years of experience in managing multiple employees • Capacity to manage complex single tenant projects, multiple single-tenant projects, shopping center projects as well as complex project assemblages • 8+ years of experience in development, construction, architecture, or civil engineering preferred • BS degree from an accredited 4-year college or university with preference for emphasis in a field relevant to the position or multiple years of practical experience • Ability to read and interpret construction documents • Knowledge of construction standards, work methods, materials, and operating practices • Knowledge of the due diligence, design management, entitlement and permitting processes as they relate to real estate development • Computer proficiency and related software knowledge (Including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Project). • Excellent written and oral communication skills • Establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and earn their trust and respect • Ability to work under pressure with professionalism, collaboration and decorum with internal teammates and clients • Maintain confidentiality, utilize judgment, and work with minimal supervision • Steadfast adherence to Company’s Mission and Core Values
Poline Associates is an international executive search firm specializing in the shopping center industry.We serve property owners, developers, retailers and service providers who are seeking remarkable talent and work to align them with candidates who are eager for new growth opportunities. Since 1979, our team has been connecting companies and candidates with a commitment to integrity and client satisfaction—making us the industry’s most trusted leader in recruitment.